Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Well here goes...

I've never been one of those who posts their entire life on facebook or on the internet, but I figured while I'm here at camp having a blog would be handy to inform family members of my time here without having to call 20 people every weekend and tell the same story 14 times. Hopefully, I'll be disciplined enough to update this every week when I have a break, we'll see how that goes.

WARNING: I am most likely going to speak in "camp lingo" some. I will do my best to explain things that are unknown outside the camp world, but forgive me if I miss one here and there.

I've been at camp for about 4 1/2 days now. I had to think about what day it was just then, I'm in a time warp out here or something. It feels like I've been away for two full weeks already or something like that. This year I came to Bro Week which is an optional week before the mandatory Training Week. The whole leadership team is here and a good amount of coaches. The leadership team is people who are camp veterans and are typically a couple years older than me. They basically are our supervisors because the 4 full time camp directors can't watch all of us, and do everything. I love our leadership team this year, I know a lot of them because they were coaches like me last year.

This week has been very productive for me emotionally, I guess you could say. Last year I was very intimidated and timid (if you can believe that). I felt like everyone knew someone except me, and I even called Mick crying like a baby the first night of Training Camp because I was already homesick haha. I developed this "shy girl" image I suppose you could say, and kept that up for the full 5 weeks of camp last year. I'm sure all my family members are reading this thinking "who is this shy Rachel? The Rachel we know is loud and at times obnoxious!" Anyway, these few days I've really been able to open up and be myself around people more. I've met a lot of awesome, newbies. I've been able to deepen relationships I've had with returners as well as form some new ones with people I rarely talked to last summer. Today we had like a mini decathalon. We were on 2 person teams (one guy and girl), and played a series of games. Gnip Gnop (guh-nip guh-nop, 2 syllables each word), Taps (aka 21, a basketball game), pickleball, and this "mystery game" that was a play on an American Gladiator game where you had to make it from one end of the basketball court to the other while people were up in the mezzanine throwing dodgeballs at you trying to peg you. It was a lot of fun, my team didn't win but we had a great time. It was good socializing time with people. Anyway, I don't really know what else to write about now. I will hopefully have more interesting stories to tell in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment