Saturday, June 12, 2010

Week 2=DONE!

"The days go by slow, but the weeks go by fast"-Me. I made up this little proverb/phrase of wisdom. It's been so true here lately. My days are long and slow, but I blink on Opening Day and it's Closing Day!

I can't believe session 2 is over! I had a great week. I had girls who just finished 4th grade, there were 10 of them, and they were awesome! Two of the girls I had last year in my other cabin, and one of them I had her older sister last year also. They were all super sweet! I had a really awesome experience with one of them, Emma. She got sick about Tuesday with a fever, headaches, and ear aches. I'm pretty sure it was sinuses, allergies, and a little virus. I got to spend a lot of time with her in the Med Mound this week (the nurse's station), and it was a really awesome way to get to know her better. She confided a lot of stuff in me, and I was able to comfort her when she was upset. It was just a great example of the type of community God's designed us to live in. I could be her support system for the week (what 10 year old girl in this world doesn't need a support system!), and she got to hear stories about my growing up, how I went through the same things she was, and how I learned from them.

Volleyball was great this week! We had 38 girls so we brought in a girl who normally does soccer for the week. She's doing volleyball 2nd half of the summer so she knows what she's talking about. In our volleyball small groups, 3 of my 6 girls were in my cabin last year. One was also in volleyball last year, and the other 2 were newbies. They were all going into 7th grade except one, she was going into 6th. They were so fun to be around, and hang out with. I love being with the older girls, you get to have semi-adult conversation with them. We thought of some ways to make volleyball more interesting and fun this week learning-wise. It's hard to teach them, I know that's the most boring part! It always was for me. We brought in "coach ramirez" who was one of our coaches dressed up and had this awful Spanish accent. She pretended she knew what she was doing, but was really saying everything opposite and wrong. Then we were able to teach them by showing her the proper way to do things. I thought it went really well.

It poured Tuesday night! I have never heard thunder and lighting like I did that night, it sounded like a war was going on outside. It rained from about 9:30pm to 6am Wednesday morning. I loved it because it helped me go to sleep. I didn't wake up until about 5am that morning, but there were lots of people who barely slept. I guess that's the beauty of being a heavy sleeper :) Because of the storm, Wednesday was a crazy day. Wednesday's schedule is normally different just because we do the gospel presentation that night, so that alters our whole day. We got to sleep in an extra hour because the storm caused electricity problems. It was a great day...stressful, but great!

Today, Saturday, a big group of us came to one girl's ranch in Shiner. Shiner is about an hour 1/2 away from camp so my friend, Kim, and I drove together. The girl we're all staying with, Courtney, is in my covenant group. She's AMAZING! I love being around her and getting to know her. Anyway, she lives on a ranch. I pretty much consider a ranch in Texas to be comparable to a farm in Arkansas. It's a big area of land, they have horses, chickens, and other animals. They raise deer though which is really cool. Their house is HUGE, she has 3 brothers and sisters, and they were all home-schooled growing up. They're a very sweet family. The brother, who is only 1 year younger than me, said "yes ma'am" to me haha. Courtney' mom and dad cooked brisket, scalloped potatoes, bread, yummy salad, and ice cream for us!!!! They won't let us chip in for food costs. They're also letting us use their TWO washers and driers to do our laundry. They're definitely one of those families that uses their resources to love on and bless others. They're wonderful! Anyway, we're starting a giant game of sardines (there's about 20 of us here and they have enough beds for all of us if that tells you anything), so I'm going to go play.

Love everyone dearly :) thanks to those who have been writing and such. I will do my best to continue updating as often as possible! I hope week 3 goes as awesome as this week did. I can't believe it's "hump week" for first halfers. They only coach 5 weeks so week 3 is the midpoint. I can't believe I've been here for 4 weeks, and that I only have 9 weeks left! I'm like 1/4 of the way done. Like I said, "the days go by slow, but the weeks go by fast".

Goodnight to all!
P.S. Pictures to come whenever I get time that I feel like doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment